Cotton! Not what you think it is!
- What about cotton – one of the most widely used materials in bedding today?
First, there’s a major difference between regular cotton and organic cotton.
Here are some facts you may not know about conventionally grown cotton:
- Cotton farming takes up only about 3 percent of the world’s total farmland, but uses 25 percent of the world’s chemical pesticides and fertilizers
- Each acre of cotton harvested every year in the U S is sprayed with an average of 13 pounds of pesticides, herbicides, and defoliants
- The World Health Organization classifies half of cotton crop chemicals each year as “hazardous”
- Toxic defoliating chemicals are used to harvest the cotton
And this long list doesn’t even include the billions of pounds of synthetic fertilizers used for cultivating cotton. The runoff from these fertilizers can create aquatic “dead zones” in waterways, killing off species of aquatic life.